Saturday, June 3, 2017

Earth Week Sustainability Fair

On April 20th 2017, the UW Bothell Campus Events Board and Cascadia College Cascadia Activities Board hosted a sustainability concert and community celebration on the sports field located near the wetlands. On this bright and sunny day, the event took place from 12-3pm and had a large turnout of organizations, vendors, and info booths. These groups involve, inform, and interact with anybody willing to attend, about how they include sustainability in their individual contributory ways. There was a stage for the live music performed by a sustainability-activist alternative rock band called Trapdoor Social! which was fun and kept it all lively. Going into the event I had no clue who would be there, but I went instead because somebody recommended it’d be better to at least check it out.

            In the end I found out there should have been no question about going. This event had relatability for anybody across all ends of the spectrum. From climbing to gardening, and from cycling to summer camps for kids, this was an all-inclusive meeting for anybody interested in making friends and learning how to create a better lifestyle for everyone. Although every booth I had stopped at was more than worthwhile, I had a couple favorites that I found I could relate to best. The first booth I really liked was the Campus Grounds and Maintenance booth. I had done some volunteer work with them and they were busy teaching listeners how they compost with worms, why they plant how/what they plant, and even were giving out free samples of campus grown Elder Tea. The actually had a small box of soil and worms on the side to show what composting looks like in action. Another booth I liked, which I hadn’t anticipated would be there was The Mountaineers booth. I talked to their representative for a while about what they do and what they are about. I found out that this is a great network to become involved in for anybody looking to pursue serious climbing because of all the benefits they provide; from discounts on gear to accessibility of guided mountain touring, this was something I would recommend people to check out. If this event happens again with the same outcome as this round did, I would recommend that everybody should at least give it a thorough walkthrough.  

No comments:

Post a Comment